Friday, October 7, 2011

What's your religion?

It was a summer afternoon when Farhan, a 14 year old boy, returned home from his school. His father, being a government employee, had been transferred from Jaipur to a small town in Rajasthan. It had been a month since they had moved.

Farhan was usually sad because of the new place, new people and the fact that he had to make new friends. He missed his old friends and was mostly nostalgic thinking about the moments which he had spent with his mates.

It was his first day at the new school. That day, Farhan was sadder than usual. Signs of something gnawing at his heart and soul could easily be seen on his face. Without uttering a word, he went straight to his room.

His mother was in the kitchen making lunch for Farhan. She noticed ‘a-usually-happy’ Farhan ending the day with that frown. She went to him and cuddled and asked the reason for his sadness. He didn’t reply.

Beta! What happened? Why are you sad?” she asked, embracing her sad son.
Ammi, I have few questions for you. Will you answer me?” he enquired.
“Yes! I will, but, first have lunch. You must be hungry. I made your favorite dish: Rajma-Chawal.”
“No ammi. I’m not hungry for food. I’m hungry for your answers.” Farhan refused the proposal for food.
“What’s wrong, beta? Tell me. Did anything happen in your school?” she asked, worried.
Ammi, do we belong to Pakistan?” Farhan asked in a heavy voice.
“No, beta. Who told you that?” she was puzzled.
“Your dada abu were in the Indian army. Your abu is working for the Indian government. What made you say like that?”
“Are we the ones who are responsible for those attacks in Kashmir?” Farhan shot his second question.
“What’s wrong with you, Farhan? Why are you asking all these questions?” his mom asked in little higher tone. She was furious as well as worried.
“Do we also celebrate Diwali, Ammi?” Farhan asked his third question.
“Enough, Farhan. Your questions are redundant. Go and have your lunch.” she ordered.

Farhan neither said anything nor budged an inch from his position.

“Either tell me what's the matter or change your expression. This doesn’t look nice on my sweet boy.” she said in a softer voice, trying to kill sadness from his heart.

Ammi, today was my first day at school. I have no friends here. The teacher asked me my name. I told them. During the lunch break, a boy said to me that we are from Pakistan and that we are responsible for all those terrorist attacks in India. I don’t think so, Ammi. Why do they think that way?” he burst into tears.
“Aw, Farhan,” she hugged him, “Don’t bother so much. Grow up and you’ll understand yourself that this not the reality.” she soothed him.

“I so want to grow up, Ammi. I want to see what this world thinks about my culture, my religion, and me. It doesn’t matter to you people because you people have grown up. No one asks you whether you celebrate Diwali or not. Whether you are from India or from Pakistan. But, they ask me. In our sixth grade, we had studied that India is a secular country. Where is that ‘Secularism’? People are still fighting on the basis of their castes. I see people chained by views that make them kill others. Who is independent, Ammi? Are we independent?”

A few tears rolled down his mother’s cheeks as Farhan sobbed. She realized, at that moment, that her ‘little’ boy had grown up. He had received the understanding of right and wrong from this world, by looking at this world.

Beta! Religions were created so that we could help each other. No religion advocates hatred and sense of inequality. We all are from the same God. It’s just that the name of the Gods vary from person to person. If you want to follow a religion, follow ‘humanism’. Allah will bless you.” Mother taught him in a simple language.

Farhan was listening to each and every word very carefully. It was clear from his eyes
that he understood the word ‘humanism’.

“Now, people’s questions don’t matter to me. I have understood my religion and my roots. I will explain this to anyone who questions me.” Farhan said and hugged his mother. It was the most knowledgeable day for Farhan where he learnt the lesson of humanity.

2 comments: